[OpenSpending] Hidden wealth of Nations

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 13:19:09 UTC 2013

Pierre

Interesting. That's helpful.

Yes, not only is the information in Clearstream, Euroclear, DTCC etc not
open, it's worse than that as even the identifiers for the securities are
proprietary.

We've got a long path to tread with this one!

Chris

On 11 November 2013 12:58, Pierre Chrzanowski
<pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Chris, here is what he said in the interview :
>
> "*We must urgently establish a global register of financial titles,
> stocks, bonds, derivatives. To know who owns what and where. Such records
> exist in private companies such as Clearstream and Euroclear. I propose to
> transfer the management to the International Monetary Fund (IMF)".*
>
> Not sure he is aware of OpenCorporates
>

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Chris Taggart <countculture at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Not sure what a 'world fiscal cadastre' is, but assuming that it includes
>> an open database of all the banks and financial institutions in the world,
>> we're actually working on this.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
>> http://opencorporates.com
>> Blog: http://blog.opencorporates.com
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/OpenCorporates
>>
>> OpenCorporates is published by Chrinon Ltd, a company dedicated to
>> improving and publishing public data under an open licence that allows and
>> encourages reuse, including commercially. Registered in England, number
>> 07444723.
>>
>> On 11 November 2013 08:53, Pierre Chrzanowski <
>> pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just discovered the work of Gabriel Zucman, an Berkeley's economist who
>>> published a book full of data on banks secrecy, shell companies and tax
>>> evasion.
>>>
>>> http://abonnes.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2013/11/07/paradis-fiscaux-tout-reste-a-faire_3509743_3234.html?xtmc=zucman&xtcr=1
>>>
>>> Book is in French but most of the data and tables are published online
>>> here http://gabriel-zucman.eu/richesse-cachee/
>>>
>>> Zucman recommends to create a "world fiscal cadastre". An idea that
>>> should resonate here.
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Pierre Chrzanowski*
>>> *Open Knowledge Foundation France*
>>>
>>> Mail: pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
>>> Skype: pierre.chrzanowski | Twitter: @piezanowski<https://twitter.com/piezanowski>

> *Pierre Chrzanowski*
> *Open Knowledge Foundation France*
>
> Mail: pierre.chrzanowski at gmail.com
> Skype: pierre.chrzanowski | Twitter: @piezanowski<https://twitter.com/piezanowski>

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture