[OpenSpending] New Satellite site budget Rotterdam

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 08:06:49 UTC 2014

Hi Marco,

I had seen this. Good stuff, especially how it was introduced as a parting
gift from a city council member, which gave put it in the center of
attention.

Is it a deliberate choice to only provide budgets for future years? How
about comparing budgets and spending from previous ones. Has Rotterdam made
IV3 spending reporting public (the stuff they normally send to the
statistics office)? Comparing actual spending to planned and previous
spending, or even to comparable local governments elsewhere, such as is
being done at openspending.nl, I think might be more insightful than mere
budgets. Any plans along those lines?

Have you ever played around with IV3 spending reports from the city? I have
collected the IV3 data from a whole bunch of local governments. Next to
giving the data to openspending.nl I have tried my hand at converting the
IV3 spreadsheets into CSV for use at OpenSpending.org but it is a slow
process. Maybe you have any experience you can share?

(btw, I am bringing spending and budget data for all 25 local governments
in the Province Overijssel, 2009-now.
http://www.zylstra.org/blog/2014/03/an-exercise-in-freedom-of-information-local-spending-data/Which
I aim to add to
openspending.org. Also just started an open data project for the Province
North-Holland, with 10 local govs. It is likely that as part of that the
spending data from many of the 53 local govs in that Province will become
available sometime this year)

best,

Ton

Interdependent Thoughts