[pd-discuss] Contact between Wikimedia Foundation and Wellcome Trust regarding image collections?

Rob Myers rob at robmyers.org
Fri Jan 14 09:23:58 UTC 2011

On 01/13/2011 09:44 PM, Mike Linksvayer wrote:

 > However, even free licenses are non-exciting for mere digitizations
 > of public domain works -- they ought be in the public domain!

Yes, absolutely.

 > Holders of public domain works ought instead be clearly stating the
 > works are in the public domain. To facilitate this Creative Commons
 > recently developed http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0/

The PD Mark is great.

Because we're talking about cultural institutions I'd also mention
Europeana:

http://www.version1.europeana.eu/web/europeana-project/publications

"We have joined with Creative Commons in developing Europeana's Usage
Guide for public domain works, which is associated with the Creative
Commons Public Domain Mark.
[...]
The Europeana Foundation has published a policy statement, the Public
Domain Charter, to highlight the value of public domain content in the
knowledge economy. It alerts Europe's museums, libraries, archives and
audiovisual collections to the fact that digitisation of Public Domain
content does not create new rights in it."

- Rob.