[pd-discuss] Activities for Public Domain Day 2013

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 23:10:53 UTC 2012

Thanks!

Yes, I meant tonight/tomorrow starting roughly now :)

My thoughts: let's iterate on the total PDD bundle.

========== v 0.1  =============

= Hook ==
http://publicdomainreview.org/2012/12/11/class-of-2013/

=Creator List=
Franz Boas
B. Malinowski
L M Montgomery
Robert Musil
Eric Ravilious
Bruno Schulz
Edith Stein
A E Waite
Grant Wood
F. Younghusband
Stefan Zweig

= Work List =
??? [TBD]

= Torrent file =
??? [Requires work list]

==========  ~  ~  ~  =============

To finish this version, we need a list of works, and a torrent.  And then
an update to the original post with those.

For v.2, we should include works from the 41 authors on the next-lager
list, and the names and metadata for the 500 from Tom and Adrian's author
query.  And perhaps someone can start working on actually posting and
digitizing/ocr'ing the work of the initial 11.

For v.3, we should include the names of the larger list of notable people
who died in 1942 (again: the relevant data is both the fact that they died,
 pointers to where their work may be collected, and an indication of the
country in which we should be looking at copyright law)

If we can get to at least v.2 this year, that would be awesome.

As Maarten rightly points out:  "every notable person on Wikipedia probably
created something copyright protected. "

True.  And many more.   What we need for this and future years is an open
system where anyone who loves the public domain can think hard about
whether they know someone who should be added to that year's spreadsheet --
or add them to the appropriate year's spreadsheet over the coming decade
 -- and can start identifying their full list of works and where those
works are physically & digitally located.

SJ