[pd-discuss] Entering the Public Domain in 2013

Peter B. Hirtle pbh6 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 31 18:19:19 UTC 2012

I would be hesitant to rely on an uncredited web site with unsourced information as a source for public domain information - especially when the consequences in the US of making a mistake can be so dire.

Name authority work, including the establishment of author death dates, is one of the most difficult and expensive tasks undertaken by librarians.  It requires careful research given the similarity of names.  It also requires careful citation of the source of data - and even then mistakes are common.  The difficulty is one of the reasons why some cataloging codes dropped the requirement to include death dates in cataloging records unless absolutely required to differentiate names.

Karen Coyle has a nice post on some of the problems associated with doing name authority work at http://kcoyle.blogspot.com/2007/09/name-authority-control-aka-name.html.  Her examples focus on birth dates, but the same would hold true for death dates.

Peter B. Hirtle, FSAA
Senior Policy Advisor
Digital Scholarship & Preservation Services
Cornell University Library
2B53 Kroch Library
Ithaca, NY  14853
peter.hirtle at cornell.edu
t.  607.255-4033
f.  607.255-9524
http://vivo.cornell.edu/individual/vivo/individual23436
Copyright and Cultural Institutions: Guidelines for Digitization for U.S. Libraries, Archives, and Museums:
http://hdl.handle.net/1813/14142