[Pdr] Public domain fairy tales

Jonathan Gray j.gray at cantab.net
Tue Jan 31 11:36:11 UTC 2012

The list below is extracted from a selected bibliography of primary
sources by Jack Zipes [1].

I'm going to write to him this week to invite him to write him
something about the first item ("Meadows of Gold and Mines of Gems").

I also suggest we write to Marina Warner [2]. As she's also on the
Advisory Board to the Sussex Centre for Folklore, Fairy Tales and
Fantasy [3] (which my dad founded), I volunteer myself to write to her
too. Perhaps on something related to her recent book, Stranger Magic,
which I conveniently have in my possession, having cunningly purchased
it at the last OKFN public event I did at the Wellcome with Sam.

Any ideas for any of the others? I think the Pentamerone is also
brilliant - and could ask Jack for ideas about others who could write
on this.

J.

Al-Mas’udi. El-Mas’udi’s Historical Encyclopedia, entitled Meadows of
Gold and Mines of Gems. London: Oriental Translation Fund of Great
Britain and Ireland, 1841.

Andersen, Hans Christian. Wonderful Stories for Children. Trans. Mary
Botham Howitt. 1rst English ed. London: Chapman and Hall, 1846.

Danish Fairy Legends and Tales. Trans. Caroline Peachey. 2nd ed., with
a memoir of the author. London: Addey, 1852.

Popular Tales from the Norse. Intro. George Dasent. Edinburgh:
Edmonstron & Douglas, 1859.

The Fairy Tales of Madame d’Aulnoy. Trans. Annie Macdonell. Intro.
Anne Thackeray Ritchie. London: Lawrence & Bullen, 1895.

The Pentamerone. Trans. Richard Burton. London: Spring, n.d.

Crane, Thomas Frederick. Italian Popular Tales. Boston: Houghton, Mifflin, 1889.

German Popular Stories, Translated from the Kinder und Haus Märchen.
Trans. Edgar Taylor. London: C. Baldwin, 1823.

Household Stories from the Collection of the Brothers Grimm. Trans.
Lucy Crane. London: Macmillan, 1882.

Jamieson, Robert. Popular Ballads and Songs from Tradition,
Manuscripts and Scarce Editions. Edinburgh, A. Constable, 1806.

Lang, Andrew, ed. and trans. Perrault’s Popular Tales. Oxford:
Clarendon Press, 1888.

The Facetious Nights of Straparola. Trans. William G. Waters. Illus.
Jules Garnier and E. R. Hughes. 4 vols. London: Lawrence and Bullen,
1894.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Zipes
[2] http://www.marinawarner.com/
[3] http://sussexfolktalecentre.org/