[Pdr] James Atkinson (Persian scholar)

Jonathan Gray j.gray at cantab.net
Tue Jan 31 11:50:02 UTC 2012

Some of this guy's stuff looks interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Atkinson_(Persian_scholar)

"The City of Palaces, a fragment and other poems" sounds worth a look,
but I can't track down a digital copy. Any ideas?

Borges also has an interesting short piece on the translators of the
Arabian nights which I was going to re-read when I get a moment - for
inspiration. A piece on the reception history of the 1001 nights would
be really interesting I think - including what influence it had, the
different translations and editions, and so on.

If Calvino were still alive, he'd be able to do a mean piece on the
origins and legacy of the narrative structure of the Arabian nights
(including on things like his own If On A Winters Night...).

Perhaps we could ask Husain Haddawy?

J.

--
Jonathan Gray