[School-of-data-announce] Roundup from the School of Data

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Tue Apr 9 05:19:24 UTC 2013

A quick roundup from activity around the world of the School of Data...

*## P2PU and School of Data launch the first data explorer misson *

The data explorer mission combines the best part of online materials
(produced by Open Knowledge Foundation and Tactical Tech) and
dataexpeditions to produce a challenge-based "guided tour" as an entry
point to working with data.

The topic: Carbon Data

More information and signup details can be found in the blog post:
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/04/05/data-explorer-missions-launched-by-okf-p2pu-sign-up-now/

*## Data Expeditions*

We had our first Q & A for potential guides for Data Expeditions. Some
fantastic questions raised and lots of people seemed keen to experiment
with the methodology.

At the suggestion of the group, I have created a "Data Sherpas" Google
Group to help potential leaders of data expeditions to stay in contact with
one another, share experiences and ideas for topics or techniques to help
them run. It's open to all to join!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105002691570765593693/members

*### First independent data expedition launched*

Ralf Becker, from the University of Manchester - launches the first
independent data expedition on the topic: child poverty. This will be an
offline event, but we'll see what we can do to make the resources available
to all.

Incidentally, we've also created an interactive timeline of expeditions.

http://okfnlabs.org/timeliner/view/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fa%2Fokfn.org%2Fspreadsheet%2Fccc%3Fkey%3D0Aq9agjil66PydGRqT3N2dl8xblg2X20zd3RQTTZhVEE%23gid%3D0

Planning one? Let us know! (schoolofdata at okfn.org)

*## Online Resource Page *

A lot of people get bamboozled when starting to work with data about the
number of choices for tools when working with data.

Actually, in our experience a lot of working with data comes down to a few
core tools - we've listed the ones we use most often on a new resources
page.

http://schoolofdata.org/online-resources/

*## From the blog*

Neil Ashton's latest fantastic data roundup:
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/04/03/data-roundup-april-3/

The data journalism handbook comes to Latin America:

http://schoolofdata.org/2013/03/29/bringing-the-data-journalism-handbook-to-brazilian-journalists/

Until next time,

Lucy

--