[School-of-data-announce] Latest from the School of Data

Lucy Chambers lucy.chambers at okfn.org
Thu Apr 25 06:01:05 UTC 2013

Howdy folks,

Here's the latest from School of Data: Globetrotting Edition.

*# Live updates from the School of Data Journalism in Perugia *

School of Data has teamed up with the European Journalism Centre to run the
second edition of the School of Data Journalism at the International
Journalism Festival in Perugia: http://www.journalismfestival.com/

If you can't be there in person, we'll put up the tutorials on the School
of Data blog so you can see them.

The first course, Excel for Journalists by Steve Doig is now online:

http://schoolofdata.org/2013/04/24/using-excel-to-do-precision-journalism-an-update-from-the-school-of-data-journalism-in-perugia/

*# We're hiring *

We're hiring a workshop and project coordinator! Please spread the word.

We need a gregarious, tech-translator, who can empathise with the needs of
NGOs, journalists and engaged citizens and translate the tech to human in
order to allow them to start learning.

http://schoolofdata.org/2013/04/24/were-hiring-workshop-and-project-coordinator/

*# See what went on at the Wrangling for Watchdogs Workshop*

We've produced a short video of our latest Wrangling for Watchdogs
workshop:

See what the participants wanted to learn in our barcamp style data-clinic
and how we went about helping them to achieve that...

http://schoolofdata.org/2013/04/09/when-wranglers-meet-watchdogs/

Highlights included reducing one happy participant to tears, so happy was
she that she had managed to visualise her municipal budget using
OpenSpending.org, that's first!

*# New courses from Tactical Tech! *

Tom Longley, from Tactical Tech - has found a way to make Pivot tables
understandable (and strangely appealing) with the aid of kittens.

Ever wondered what a Pivot Table is or why you should care?  If you ever
need to summarise huge amounts of data - this course is probably for you...

http://schoolofdata.org/handbook/courses/gentle-introduction-exploring-and-understanding-data/

*# Data Explorer Missions in Full Flow*

We're into our second week of the pilot Data Explorer Mission in
collaboration with P2PU. The Explorer Mission is a Data Expedition guided
by a robot, and intrepid explorers are investigating the plains of carbon
data and being guided through the Data Fundamentals Courses, and Tactical
Tech's Introduction to Data cleaning.

*# From the blog*

This week's fantastic data roundup from Neil Ashton:
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/04/24/data-roundup-april-24/

Using Redis as a rapid discovery and prototyping tool:
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/04/11/using-redis-as-a-rapid-discovery-and-prototyping-tool/

On the Truthiness of Data:
http://schoolofdata.org/2013/04/11/on-the-truthiness-of-data/

That's all for now we'll be back soon with a bumper edition of updates and
materials from the School of Data Journalism in Perugia,

Take care, all,

Lucy

--
*Project Coordinator*