[School-of-data-announce] Latest from School of Data

Milena Marin milena.marin at okfn.org
Wed Sep 11 19:35:55 UTC 2013

Howdy all,

As summer holidays are over, we are also back with the latest news from
around the network. Also in blog
post<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/09/11/the-latest-from-the-school-of-data-5/>form.

## New team members

Welcome to Milena and Neil who joined the School of Data project in this
last month. Milena’s mission is to bring School of Data network to the rest
of the world by supporting our community mentors and other local partners,
organising events & workshops, etc. Neil joined us as writer and analyst
and he is on a quest to improve project documentation and to bring the
OKF’s work to a wider audience.

## Community mentors training

We kicked off our training programme for community mentors with a data
expedition in which we explored the links between NSA employees and
companies. Check out this blog post <http://bit.ly/1514ASf> for more
details.
If you want to become a community mentor, sign up
here<http://schoolofdata.org/get-started-as-a-community-mentor/>
!

## OKCon coming up

The OKCon is coming up next week! We have an amazing track on “Evidence and
Stories” where we’ll examine the role of open data in evidence-based policy
making, data-driven campaigns and advocacy, data journalism and
visualisation.

We are also running a ScoDa workshop where we plan to teach people from our
community how to run their own data expedition. Check out the details and
sign up to attend here <http://okcon.org/evidence-and-stories/session-c/>.

Interested in the whole conference? Check out the full schedule
here<http://okcon.org/schedule/>
.

## Get involved

Keen to contribute to our blog? Help us write our weekly data roundup!
Seean example roundup post<http://bit.ly/14e3Mpv>
.
<http://bit.ly/18u6eML>
Our usual regular contributor and hero, Anna Leach is looking for some
dedicated writers to rotate with once a month. If you are interested, drop
us an email at schoolofdata at okfn.org.

## Ask.Schoolofdata.org

A big thanks to our regular contributors, especially Chris Spruck, Paul
Antoine Chevalier and Sam Leach for providing useful answers this month!

Here is a selection of some great questions getting asked in the forum -
can you help?

* No Answer! cartogram.js distortion on
map<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/187/cartogramjs-distortion-on-map/>
* No Answer! cartodb: cannot import csv with geojson column working with
cartodb<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/172/cartodb-cannot-import-csv-with-geojson-column-working-with-cartodb/>
* No answer! Pandas for Python without
Internet<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/179/pandas-for-python-without-internet/?sort=latest>
* Tools to extract data from a
graphic<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/180/tools-to-extract-data-from-a-graphic/>
* What is the best tutorial to learn
D3js?<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/96/what-is-the-best-tutorial-to-learn-d3js/?sort=latest>
* most simple way to publish geo data information in a
dataset<http://ask.schoolofdata.org/question/173/most-simple-way-to-publish-geo-data-information-in-a-dataset/?sort=latest>

## From the Blog

* Some lessons on how to organise a crash course in data
journalism<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/09/06/optimizing-a-crash-course-in-data-journalism/>from
Internews friends
* Eliot’s Higgins post about tracking weapons is Syria using social
media<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/08/23/social-media-syria/>
* Michael’s mini series on exploring IATI data including getting the
data<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/08/21/exploring-iati-funders-in-kenya-part-i-getting-the-data/>and
cleaning
& visualising the
data<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/08/22/exploring-iati-funders-in-kenya-part-ii-cleaning-visualizing-the-data/>
* Tarek’s post about validating election data in
Egypt<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/08/20/documenting-egypts-elections-results/>
* Guest blog post about visluailng data to save animals from the effects of
climate change<http://schoolofdata.org/2013/08/19/how-does-climate-change-affect-iberian-animals-and-plants/>

See you soon with more from School of Data!

Ciao for now,

--

Milena Marin

Project Coordinator  | email: milena.marin at okfn.org | skype: milena_iul  |