[School-of-data] Examples: Crowdsourcing and NGOs

Anna Kuliberda anna.kuliberda at gmail.com
Wed May 8 20:50:56 UTC 2013

Hi Lucy,
3 examples comes quickly to mind, maybe there is something more...

Polish example - "Open monuments" by Digital Centre Project Poland
As they say on their project submission
page<https://www.newschallenge.org/open/open-government/submission/-201c-open-monuments-201d-using-crowdsourcing-for-improving-open-cultural-heritage-data/>to
the Knight Foundation news challenge:
"We have been running the project since spring 2012 and have received broad
interest from media, NGO’s and individuals, who are sharing with us data,
information and photos of cultural heritage. In the Summer 2012, over 7000
people took part over the period of a month in a national crowdsourcing
action focused on checking, updating and providing basic information about
historical objects from the registry. This was a first crowdsourcing action
of such scale in Poland."

Serbia: An interesting project “What’s Your Doctor Like?” (in Serbian:
http://www.kakavjedoktor.org/) and its not to happy story on UNDP blog
<http://europeandcis.undp.org/blog/2013/04/30/serbian-citizens-take-on-corruption-in-the-health-sector/#comment-33654>

Kosovo Innovation Lab (by UNICEF) did a small scale, but yet successful
mapping of youth centres: http://kosovoinnovations.org/kosovoyouthmap/ more
about it also on the website where we're collecting transparency oriented
CSO's usage of new technology in the Balkans:
http://communityboostr.org/resource/crowd-sourcing-mapping-and-young-people-kosovo

Of course there are tones of better or worse implementations of FixMyStreet
or WhatDoTheyKnow, but this is probably a whole other story.

as a curiosity I can add something what was done as a completely
grass-rooted project of few crazy Poles who inventoried Polish governmental
websites,<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al3dkW0tU6S5dEVlc3N5SnlkQzctRHlkMF9GX1NRamc#gid=0>it
lookls like something way better then what any public catalogue has,
but
I don't know how complete it is and whether it was used by anybody yet.

cheers,
Anna

----
Anna Kuliberda