[wsfii-discuss] People's Print Publishing: whys (wise?) and wherefores

hugh barnard hughbarnardlists at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Aug 24 06:05:21 UTC 2005

Hi folks

Well I'm glad to stir up discussion about this...I was
also thinking in terms of complete models, including
(but not limited to) the technical means to do
'instant papers', database to print  , pamphlets etc.

That would include how to make them autonomous
financially (without selling out the core message),
governance, legal, distribtion..everything that would
keep such a thing living. As I said, in another
context, a franchise operating manual, so that it's
reproducible and refinable. Many people live without
the internet (cost, complexity) or refuse it
(religion, neo-luddites, unbranded refuseniks) but
need to own 'their' infrastructure.

I realise and accept the criticism that that's an over
ambitious program for the short space of the
conference.

Just to declare (one)interest, I'm about to do this in
the autumn on an estate where I teach. It'll probably
poetry, stories etc. (then I'll work up, like an old
lefty, to something more vigorous, if they want it)
but it'll be done with Microsoft tools (I don't
currently have a choice there..) which is not
affordable/sustainable for many other
groups/communities either.

Best regards Hugh