[wsfii-discuss] presentation?

Joanna Griffin joanna at breakingthesurface.net
Mon Aug 29 23:08:48 UTC 2005

Hi

I've just heard about the world summit on free information
infrastructures.

Maybe I met some people working with the geoserver project at the DEAf
festival in Rotterdam. Is that possible? Was the Command Centre room
connected to this?

Anyway, I'm posting because I've been working on a project for some
time that's needed research into the availability online of information
around satellites. so I've been sourcing satellite coordinates and real
time images, as well as talking to people and visiting centres
associated with remote sensing and satellite technology. Its really an
art project and hopefully by the end of september I'll have finished a
piece for Impakt Online, http://www.impakt.nl/

Perhaps there's space to present something about it. I'm interested in
how access to geopspatial data changes the way people feel about their
environment. For instance to what extent is it possible to feel a
palpable connection to the space of orbiting satellites through
tracking data or satellite images. The project broadly examines the
extent to which the two invisible networks of the Internet and
satellite networks interconnect and is about the politics of access and
restriction that are inherent in each. It's been pretty tough trying to
make this work because of restrictions on so much of the information
I've been wanting to use, so I'm more than interested in what you are
trying to do.

OK, well I'll just send this for now. Let me know if more info is
needed. I haven't subscribed to the list - should I subscribe?

thanks

joanna