[wsfii-discuss] Are we ready to announce anything?

Juergen Neumann j.neumann at xorxe.net
Mon Mar 14 15:44:33 UTC 2005

Hi Jo,

> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 03:49:08PM +0100, Juergen Neumann wrote:
> > a) Is this list now the right place for preparing WSFII prepconf
> > London 2005 (LonBer)?
>
> Yes, i would say so. It is for general discussion and input
> into planning and for creating things.

Fine then! (Could the list-admin please change the default reply-to to the list
instead of the sender)

> There is a separate
> 'coord' list which is intended for admin material and people
> heavily involved in running things, which no-one is really on yet.

How can one get on that list?

> > b) Can we make an announcement now/soon? What kind of infos
> > are still
> > missing for at least saying that something is going to happen in
> > London this year and when?
>
> Perhaps there's been a bit of uncertainty about the venue;
> but we are in a a position to say "definitely limehouse town
> hall". It is a good sized space, could hold three conference
> 'tracks'. I have enjoyed saul's suggestions of bringing
> differemt @open@ areas to the edge of free networks, ands how
> that might expand and complicate things but ultimately be
> very rewarding / interesting.

I think that's a good starting point, too!

> If there are particular 'special guest' status people then it
> would be ideal to at least sound them out before an announce.
> If there are people who not having been involved in planning
> before seeing an announce might feel offended, we should
> contact them... ( i dont really know, not having been around
> for previous euro freenetworks
> gatherings...)

This is a typical hen/egg problem - isn't it? I would start with a call for
papers or somethin similar asap. That's a point where everyone can say what they
want or might want to do on the meeting.

Imo we need a date and a name for the PR once there is a definite GO at your
side. Many people are asking me about the plans for 2005 now. It's really time
to act!

Some thoughts about names:

WSFII (World Summit on Free Information Infrastructure)
WSFII London 2005 / prepconf to India 2006
WSFII India 2006 / prepconf London 2005
LonBer (London-Berlin as we had BerLon, where it all started from here in
Berlin)
wireless-london summer convention

We will be announcing that the freifunk.net summer convention 2005 will be held
as part of xyz... in London then.

Please make up your minds ... in the end we just need a name, a date and a close
guess about the location  ;-)

Thx

JuergeN