[wsfii-discuss] Are we ready to announce anything?

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Tue Mar 15 04:43:55 UTC 2005

Hi All,

just a note about lists... let's use this one for all organisational stuff, and
then move to co-ord if we need to... we can all move over en-masse if and when
we feel that this list needs to be split into discussions and coordination.

If you want to get onto the co-ord list (empty for now - and unused) subscribe
here: http://lists.okfn.org/mailman/listinfo/wsfii-coord.

I put a holding page on wsfii.org - contributions recommended! :) I aint no
designer.

Yes! We should make the announce soon.

I really think 1st / 2nd Oct would be best.. it's a good time for london -
everyone's over the mid-summer sloth and things are moving again.

I reckon WSFII prepcon is mor eor less clear and more or less descriptive. It
might also be good to have a strapline that includes info about India / LonBer
Freifunk etc.. with props to all.

The location, I'm still hoping should be around London's South Bank - in the
Momi, but I still need to get in touch with Eddie Berg, the guy who is running
the British Film Institute's museum of moving image to see if he'll let us use
it.

I totally agree with armin, this should be big - and proper, and not funded by
the usual suspects, or done scrappily.

It doesn't seem too difficult to organise though..

1. We select and invite speakers from all the areas we think qualify as Free
Information Infrastructures (allowing for some we don't know about maybe).
2. We schedule them all to speak over 2 days
3. Food / Catering / Accommodation etc. is the hard part, but easy if we get a
few thousand pounds. We might need anothe rfew grand to fly people over.

The week before (is this too ambitious) could be really simple. We just use
limehouse town hall to do workshops - there we have bandwidth, space, time etc.
Or we hire Greenwich where we have the same.

Other FII groups can worry about their own workshops. If they want to organise
them, they can share resources with us, but we are doing the freifunk/lon-ber
thing - they'll roll their own, or just come to the conference bit.

I saw this which seemed kind of similar:
http://opencultures.t0.or.at/oc - and really good. High profile speakers, well
documented and nicely promoted. It would be great if we could be that
organised.

The distinction is that we are talking about Infrastructure - a more pragmatic
focus, rather than the whole 'open' content issue. I also think the word 'free'
is still important here :)

We might want to link up with this 'opencongress'
http://opencongress.omweb.org/ idea that some friends of mine are working on
too - which could provide a different but related focus the following week...

Perhaps they'd be interested in sharing publicity costs etc...

Anyway, let's put up info on the wiki! Brainstorm for ideas and people to
invite, then let's draft an invitation that people can forward around. We'll
have to work out how to 'select' them though.. which might be a bit of a
nightmare, so maybe best to find people from all these areas, then nominate
them and ask them to nominate another person.

We could send out this invite tomorrow...

s.

-- http://chinabone.lth.bclub.org.uk/~saul/