[wsfii-discuss] Was FON in Spain - Now, can someone please explain...

Juergen Neumann j.neumann at ergomedia.de
Fri Jul 21 10:23:02 UTC 2006

Hi Ken and all,

> Thank you for your comments, you managed to explain several points to
me
> that I had no conception of.
>
> I believe this is a very valid approach in some but not all
situations.
> For example, in areas where a fair portion of the population is
> technically competent and have a working knowledge of computers, I can
see
> this kind of network being extremely effective. Conversely, in areas
that
> are very rural and that would depend on a lot of hops to connect,
unless
> there is a local team that can handle the repairs and/or upgrades I am
not
> sure how this could survive. Please note - this is also true for an
> centralized network design as well.
>
> One thing I have learned is - there is no one right answer for every
> situation (credit to Esme Vos) but as I like to remind myself, I have
> personally attempted an incredible number of wrong ones. :-)

Yes, I totally agree, and I also think that every network is a mixture
of all the pure options that have been discussed here now. I think that
keeping all these good comments and best practices in mind it should be
possible to find the right way to build networks almost everywhere.

A combination of these methods and ideas, the level of organisation and
peoples engagement depending on the local situation is what it needs.
But a general shift to do more DIY and teaching approach will always be
a good way -> power to the people!

Best wishes,

JuergeN

> Juergen Neumann wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Please see bottom for my comments.

> > obstacles.

> >> Again, based on a developing nation deployment, who would be the
> >>
> > person
> >
> >> that fixes these problems - oftentimes fighting the obstacles of
very
> >> computer illiterate users coupled with long distances compounding
the
> >> problems.
> >>
> >> My concern is based on who, if anyone, is looking at this aspect of
> >>
> > the
> >
> >> daily use of these networks.
> >>
> >> In a centralized network, this type of problem can be dealt with,
> >> individual users can be shut off if they are infected with a virus
as
> >> well as defensive action can be taken from DDOS attacks.
Considering
> >> that roughly 2/3rds of the total Internet traffic is now
compromised

> > of
> >
> >> PtP transfers a centralized network can also "manage" this traffic
but

> >> see no comparable mechanism in the networks we are talking about
here.
> >> Is there such a thing? Does this even need to be addressed?

> >> Please understand, I love this concept and can see all kinds of
> >> applications for this technology ranging from emergency
communications
> >> to infrastructure deployment as well as many, many others. I see
this
> >> type of network being able to provide many critical services while
> >> providing value to the community at large without monthly recurring
> >> expenses. However, this is also something that I see as being
suitable
> >> for industrialized nations to be deploying and based on my complete
> >>
> > lack
> >
> >> of understanding I have concerns (as noted above) that this type of
> >> network architecture is not the best choice for developing nations
as

> > it
> >
> >> sits today.
> >>
> >> Based on your experience, do you think some kind of management can
be
> >> designed where "superusers" can be granted the ability to see
network
> >> issues and fix them remotely? Can some kind of monitoring be built
> >>
> > into
> >
> >> these platforms that will identify trouble spots so they can be
dealt
> >> with? Is this approach even advisable?
> >>

> > I think that amongst the different community networks out there,
there
> > are many variations of these issues. I want to say something about
our
> > Berlin approach and why I think that this is the best way to run
> > networks of large scale and almost unlimited growth.
> >
> > If a network is administered by a core group, the core group and
it's
> > organisation will have to grow with the number of nodes attached.
That
> > is a huge project in a huge network. The "user" in such a network
will
> > always expect help and support from the administration and will not
take
> > efforts to help him- or herself. The network will not be
self-provided
> > but provided by an (any) other organisation.
> >
> > Our approach is a totally self run and self administered network.
Every
> > single user or better every node-owner is responsible for his/her
node.
> > All problems are solved locally by the local community of neighbours
-
> > of course with the help of the rest of the community in form of
wikis,
> > mailinglist, and other colab-tools and self organized visiting and
> > helping each other face-to-face.
> >
> > Such a network has to suffer from misconfiguration, frustration,
> > DOS-attacs (many of them happening because people don't know what
they
> > are doing - not on purpose) and so on and so forth, but in the sum,
and
> > I can state that with more than three years of experience here in
> > Berlin, I works pretty well.
> >
> > The big advantage is that people can grow the network themselves
without
> > any dependency on the administration (which just doesn't exist). The
> > community as a whole takes efforts to optimize the system - basicly
the
> > software run on the nodes and documentation and teaching material).
So