[wsfii-discuss] wireless week at wos4 (was Fwd: [wos-partner] wos4 is happening, location found)

Saul Albert saul at twenteenthcentury.com
Thu Mar 2 07:27:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 03:57:23AM +0100, Sven Wagner wrote:
> sure, we will do it! :-)

Yay!

> please join the wos list, volkerG is doing the track/ workshop coordination.
> ... but we could do a meeting at c-base too, the wos4 starts on
> thursday, so we can do a special meeting on wednesday's
> (wireless_workshop_day) and a track at the colombiahall/club during the
> official wos4 part.
> btw.
> from march 24 to 26 we setup a special "wireless_work_shop" at c-base
> called "WirelessCommunityWeekend" aka "freifunk spring convention".
> the focus at this workshop is "hands on (wireless)hacking" ...future
> wireless ...topics: 802.11, broadcom, atheros, prism54,openWRT, fff,
> avm, olsr_(ng?) and B.A.T.M.A.N/ --> new protokolldesign for ad-hoc
> networking
>  ... you are all invited, but we have no funding for flying, sorry,
> ...the sofa network is still working...

That sounds *great*. Berlin is only a hop from London and most of Europe.
I guess if the programme for WOS is still up in the air, then anyone who
needs transit from outside the cheapflights zone might ask volker if WOS
might be interested in having them come and talk...

I spent a very enjoyable evening last night in the pub chatting to T and
Igor of the C-base (who are staying at my mum's cosy house - the ultimate
sofa network experience :) about WOS, WSFII, and the other kinds of
events that people have gathered at over the last few years...

We also spoke about bringing specific use and content to the free
wireless infrastructures that are now production-ready - which was partly
the idea of WSFII - now we've got a free infrastructure (sort of.. :)
what are we going to do with it? T said that Berlin was absolutely ripe
for this kind of discussion and action.

I think WOS4 would be a great opportunity to ask that question again -
and in Berlin, where the infrastructure is really amazingly advanced -
the most developed urban free mesh network? (in my experience anyway...)
those discussions might really turn into action: bringing together the
streams from WSFII again, in a place where they're likely to take root.

Last year was full of attempts to do this in London - with limited
success due to lack of established free wireless infrastructure, but
there's probably been a good effect overall - especially inspirational to
have all of you wonderful people come and visit from around the world!
Could this be the core of a wsfii discussion that compliments an
otherwise wireless-centered programme...

> wireless week at wos4? from saturday to saturday? seven days wsfii.
> a whole week with colloboration/hacking?

1 week is better and more productive imho. I just got my copy of the
BookSprint book. It *rocks*! I did a little dance in my kitchen when I
unwrapped it.

> i think we need more or less than 2/3 days, cause not everybody can
> travel to the big convention in india...

More - for sure, discussions in berlin can feed into bigger convention
meetings. Perhaps the small-scale meetup during CUWIN's conf. at the end
of March can feed in too.

Cheers,

Saul