[wsfii-discuss] Live video conference - for real?

kdag funkzvv at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 08:23:15 UTC 2006

fred, let me know if you want to use opensource all the way, including
the compression codec :)

no skype, no ichat, thats corporative and non-free.

G.I.S.S Is the system we have used for few years now, i've tried
already few times to call the attention to it here but phps my english
is bizarre, phps cause i dont use caps, but this time i do...-> Could
be the perfect match for melding few dis-localized events.. We have
done so already with the latin american lug's and few other parties..

Evidence?, here some screenshots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alejoduque/sets/72157594285009189/

Those where are taken from a webpage where people that have troubles
setting up mplayer or vlc for viewing the streams can run to, is a
java applet that allows the stream to appear on any browser (almost
all modern ones), we can set up one also for the summit plus of course
the direct stream url for those more experienced to chose.

The system has more than 200megas of bandwith all balanced in a free
Infrastructure of icecast servers... look at the map:
http://giss.hackitectura.net/map.html more servers (in blue) are
welcome specially in east and the south of america. we use the theora
codec and many stream via oggfwd, puredata, but from my experience i
recommend freej.. actually freej saves by default all what is stream
out to your hard drive..

If you are interested in setting the thing up, let me know, im on the
#altred channel on freenode... nick dspstv or kdag.

Or on this same list.

And about getting remote participation, is clear that the best thing
to have is an irc chat where people gathers to comment about the
streams and can send feedback to the people in the place..as said
before, it is charming.

tchuss,
/alejo