[wsfii-discuss] PC withMSWindows/Office for $53? How Feasible? Can it help empower the poor?]

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Apr 21 11:14:48 UTC 2007

I think this entire discussion is based on a
misreading of the article, and therefore a waste of
time for reasons other than that it is a discussion of
MS strategy.

What Microsoft said is that the $3 software will also
run on refurbished computers, which can cost as little
as $50. It does not commit or offer to source or vend
such devices.

It is entirely true that some old machines can be
picked up for about this cost in India and in Pakistan
and doubtless in other markets. That doesn't mean that
suddenly billions of refurbished machines are
available to the Third World to use.

--- Fred Pook <fredpook at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok!
> Let Microsoft do it! Just hope they will bundle the
> refurbished boxes with a
> low-power consuming LCD screen. And while they are
> at it can Microsoft also
> supply the:
>
> - $20 solar panel
> - $10 wifi router
> - $15 water purifier
> - $5 per year Aids medicine
> - free ant-conception pills / condoms with MS logo
> - $30 wind energy generator
> - $20 air purifier
>
> Let them do it!
>
> (my $5 worth...)
> Thanks Freddy
>

> On 4/21/07, Jeff Harrison
> <jharrison at thecarbonproject.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Here's my thought - $53 is what I spent on dinner
> tonight.
> >

> > Kudos to this program to provide a PC and software
> for the same cost.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Jeff
> >

> >  ------------------------------
> >
> > *From:* wsfii-discuss-bounces at lists.okfn.org

 that's a deal

Microsoft<http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2007/apr07/04-19UPLaunchPR.mspx>,
> > the only bit stood out was the $3 price tag.  $3
> is a pretty low price for
> > Windows and Office, not exactly the $0 that open
> source software would cost,
> > but it's not far off it.  The statement highlights
> the benefits that this
> > deal will have on the economies of countries such
> as Botswana, Chile, and
> > China where technology is under-used and there's a
> massive potential market
> > for software.
> >
> > However, that low value of $3 is only part of the
> deal.
=== message truncated ===>

Vickram