[wsfii-discuss] REVIEW - Wireless Training in Winneba

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:29:57 UTC 2007

Hi

I think Vickram has a lot of relevant points. (see below)

Workshops can deliver effectively only a certain distance - to distribute
new skills, to enthuse and energize people and to make friends and contacts.
The high of the workshop and the energy generated - specifically the visions
generated and fantasized often come crashing back to earth because the real
world is a "bit" more difficult than the workshop + positive environment.
Group energy works differently from individual energy

The "real world" has lots of distractions and other attendent problems -
physical resources, problem solving capabilities, human resources. The
poorer and less connected the community the harder and slower it is to make
things happen.

A question i have for participants of workshops (esp the hands on one) is
that how many have a plan of how they are going to use their learning. -
Frankly this is a very tough question to answer. How many workshops build
into their programme a real follow up mechanism and a real assurance of
help. Workshop organizers don't get me wrong but across the spectrum this is
a lacunae - where do we draw the line between how much to spend on workshops
and how much to spend on enabling a programme.

Indians / South asians  (since thats my context)  on this list are free to
disagree - but we do not have the resource people who are willing to work /
help with small  less resourced projects - the bigger the project the scale
goes further away from the poorer communities.

ram