[wsfii-discuss] SF Bay Area project Status / Stanford GROW-Net project

Gregers Petersen ic at momu.dk
Mon Dec 3 09:05:28 UTC 2007

Hi David

wlan at mac.com wrote:
> Hi Ramon, Gregers,
>
> When you say 'open network model' are you talking about no
> authentication or accounting? Or, the ability to freely register for
> access? One of the missions of the Coova.org project is to provide a
> free (RADIUS) AAA roaming platform to help bring together
> communities. More than that, it provides integration into other forms
> of authentication and community building; be it OpenID, and more
> recently, Facebook. The goal is to provide a free and open solution
> able to work with the widest range of applications - from WPA
> Enterprise to Captive Portal (of just about any kind) to a pure
> RADIUS interconnect.
>
> I'm interested in knowing what your specific requirements/needs are.

When I refered to 'open network model' it was in terms of both economy
(who is paying for the infrastructure) and management (who is
managing/controlling the infrastructure) - further more, I'm not sure if
it is possible to attach something like an 'independent mesh-cloud' to
the Google funded network in Mountain View (or use a system like
Coova.org) ...
But good question - I still think Guifi.net is a close with their
definition of 'neutral network' (and I'm personnaly not convinced that
the SF. net innitiative is "neutral" in this sense) ...?

--
Gregers Petersen
DIIRWB International-Coordinator
international-coordinator at diirwb.net