[wsfii-discuss] OLPC - Factfile: XO laptop

jeff buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org
Tue Jul 24 15:05:12 UTC 2007

Mahabir,

My understanding is that OLPC only sells these computers as part of
their agreements with countries that agree to purchase large volumes of
their computers. Is Nepal one of those countries?

However I heard that a provision will be made to also distribute
computers to smaller institutions and networks specializing in education
also. I know some people associated with OLPC. If it would useful for
you I could attempt to get information on whether it is possible for
your organization might obtain some of these computers and if so what
the steps might be.

As far as Linux powered alternatives go, you might check out Koolu
www.koolu.com which is building low power Linux thin clients for 200-300
dollars a piece. I met the CEO Andrew Greig at the Community Wireless
Conference in Maryland in May and I am currently in communications with
him regarding the possibility of purchasing Koolu thin clients for the
Winneba Open Digital Village in Ghana. By the way Koolu can be
configured to run on the same educational software that powers the OLPC.

Jeff