[wsfii-discuss] ... take the lead - Date selection

Vickram Crishna v1clist at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 15 08:51:37 UTC 2007

--- Gregers Petersen <ic at momu.dk> wrote:

> Vickram Crishna wrote:
> > To be fair I think only those who can actually go
> > (with reasonable surety) to the meeting, or will
> be
> > helping out with logistics and therefore are
> impacted
> > by the date, should vote. In other words, only
> direct
> > stakeholders should vote.
>
> I believe the position from which Ian argues is that
> everyone is a
> direct stakeholder - everyone who (at what ever
> level) participates in
> WSFII activities is a stakeholder.

I think this is applicable and very much a WSFII value
for other situations, but here we are discussing
specific WSFII events - how will I add value (and not
in fact detract from a fair assessment) by voting for
some date for an event that I have no intention or
ability to attend or otherwise directly contribute.

Take the Ghana meeting - if it should turn out that I
am not going to attend anyway, how will my vote be
useful (I could mischievously vote the meet should be
in September or December, and thus skew the results,
and impact other WSFII meets or even meets of other
wireless mesh groups - all uselessly)?

> > I don't know if this meeting scheduler can remove
> > irrelevant votes.
>
> Non of the votes are irrelevant!

Just as someone asked who will take charge of
administrative tasks for a web site, to prevent
spamming, vandalising or disreputable activities, so
must there be some purpose in voting. Thus the
electoral college for a meet ought to be made up of
people who want to attend or help directly.

> Are there any other choices
> > available for such processes online?
> >

> It will be up to the indiviudals who are active on
> the coord-list (which
> is open to everybody) to look at the options,
> discuss them on the 'list'
> and come-up with a decision - and then get on with
> it.

Perfectly right. But they should also be able to
review who has voted, in order to reverse the effect
of such spamming.

Vickram