[wsfii-discuss] Do your country's Telco Regs help or hinder community networks?

Thomas Maketa tmaketa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 10:25:07 UTC 2007

Hi Dan,

Sincerely I wish to be in Australia...
I'm in DR Congo and we are struggling to build a low cost ISP taking account
of DR Congo realities approximately the same thing that you want to do for
MW , and here the License fees to operate an ISP is 150 000 USD added to the
20 000USD for technical clearance.
So in short before deploying anything we must find 170 000 USD for to have
legal right to operate.
We are also in the process to ask for a license fees exemption (or at least
reduction ) because of the non-profit (low profit) and public service nature
of the project but it's like we are unlikely have it.

Here also the fact that we want to ask payment for our services (evn ten
times less than normal ISP) - which makes us a commercial company - is taken
as a reason  for claiming the fair competition clause .  For  the Minister
giving us an exemption would consist in giving us an unfair advantage toward
our competitors. We are still in talks with them for looking ways to
circumvent this .....

Regards
TM