[wsfii-discuss] In-Depth Case Study "Lessons learned from the DjurslandS.net experience"

Kennedy Onyango edteckenya at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 14:15:11 UTC 2007

Dear Bjarke,

  Greetings from Mbita, Kenya. Immense thanks for sharing the report with us. I e-mailed you last year about my interest to undertake a study visit/fellowship at your institute and you promised to invite me when such opportunity arise. Kindly advise on the progress made so far in regard to my request.

  Regards,

  Kennedy

Bjarke Nielsen <bjarke at djurslands.net> wrote:
  Dear friends of WSFII and community networks !  :-)

Here you got a link to my report to InfoDev at the Worldbank on lessons learned from the DjurslandS.net:

http://hos.nr-djurs.net/bjarke/In-Depht_Study_of_the_DjurslandS_net_experience.pdf

Explanation:
One year ago about 30 open access network initiatives around the World had answered the questionnaire which people around the Freifunk.net had developed on behalf of OPLAN for InfoDev at the Worldbank.
7 of these about 30 networks - being very interesting and having distinct types of PPPs and project finance approaches - were during spring and summer 2006 asked to make assignment with InfoDev and deliver each their 50 pages Indepth Case Study with detailed data and information on their own local open access network.
3 of these 7 is networks established and run purely by volunteers, namely www.nepalwireless.net, www.wirelessghana.com and www.djurslands.net. Already last autumn reports were published from the first two of these 3 non-commercial networks, - now by this e-mail you got the link to the one coming from Djursland.
As founder of DjurslandS.net and educational leader of the "Djursland International Institute of Rural Wireless Broadband" (DIIRWB), InfoDev asked me to do the indepht study on behalf of the Djursland society. It is now finalized and it consist of 52 illustrated pages in letter format and it was send to InfoDev by the 6th of March 2007. It is called: "Lessons learned from the DjurslandS.net experience - An In-Depth Case Study of the Huge Rural Area Wireless DjurslandS.net in Denmark". What we learned - and now can teach internationally - is really mind blowing and sensational, and it has the potential to bridge the technological and social devide between rich and poor societies around the World. - Please read it and - if you are not one already - become a bridge yourself ! ;-)

With Smiles and Friendliness from Bjarke :-)
Teaching at DIIRWB.net

  Kennedy Edwine,
  Director -EDTEC,
  P.O. Box 337, Mbita-Kenya.
  http://kennedyonyango.tripod.com
  http://www.flashbuilder.net/users/edtec/main.html
  +254-0727757822 (Cell)
  +25405922427 (Office)
  +25405922427 (Fax)

    "You never know till you try to reach them how accessible men are; but you must approach each man by the right door."