[wsfii-discuss] Freddy invites you to join Zorpia

Alex Toland alex at fertileground.de
Tue Apr 29 07:10:59 UTC 2008

Hi Kloschi, Hi Jeff,
thanks for your thoughts and the links,
and for keeping this list commercial-free...
I was always intuitively suspicious of facebook, myspace and the like,
but hadn't read too deeply into it until now.
After a couple wasted hours of reading the terms and development section
of facebook, I stil haven't found a way to GET OUT...
Apparantly "everyone can join" but it's not so easy to leave once you're
in. Nowhere under terms did I find the word "unsubscribe" or "cancel"...
Does anyone know of any larger, international social networking groups
that are independent and non-commercial?
it's really a pity that cool social media applications like these can't
also be truly socially just.
warm regards,
Alex Toland

jeff buderer wrote:
> Hi Kloschi,
>
> Hope you are doing well.
>
> I understand what you mean about some of those groups - even though I am
> a member of several of them - I think their operations raises lots of
> questions.
>
> Many of them are owned by media and tech barons with dubious motives.
> Peter Thiel <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Thiel> is one of the
> primary owners of Facebook and Rupert Murdoch owns My Space now.
>
> Good article about Facebook here:
> http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook
>
> Jeff Buderer
>
>> hehe, freddy, you are doing it again ;)
>>
>> plase, no public / list wide invitations to commercial services! thank
>> you! where I'm not really sure, if or how such a so called
>> web2.0-cummunity can be called proprietary / commercial.
>>
>> further, I personally avoid those 'communities' concerning privacy
>> issues. and for the same reason I doubt it is good to advertise them on
>> a list which is dedicated to openness and freedom like this one.
>>
>> kind regards,
>> kloschi
>>
>> ps/ summer is starting here, hope the same at all your places ;)

Alexandra Regan Toland
Köpenicker Strasse 159
10997 Berlin, Germany
Feld 11 Projects | www.feld11.net