[wsfii-discuss] Restoring the wsfii-homepage . . .

Bjarke Nielsen bjarke at djurslands.net
Sun Aug 8 01:11:29 UTC 2010

Dear friends related to wsfii.org !

Some time in the spring of this year wsfii.org was not timely renewed,
and we lost the domain, and then access to the content of the homepage.
This e-mail explains the circumstances and the situation.

IMPORTANT: For now all the wsfii-content is made available again on
http://wsfii.info - or if you better like NET, also http://wsfii.net works.
So please go there for wsfii-content. And you who cared for the content
on the homepage, please get involved again, and please care for it based
on the changed names !

EXPLANATION:

By the 19.th of May Jürgen Neumann wrote to me and made me aware that we
had lost wsfii.org and that it now was used as a commercial site. He
asked me if we could do anything to make the homepage and it content and
links work again.

I asked internally in our organisation here on Djursland what had
happened, and I was told that the domain never were transfered to
DIIRWB, so we were not informed that it needed to be renewed.

I searched the web and found that the name of the new owner is Stephen
Wilson, and that he had put it on domain-auction at Sedo.com.
I signed as user at Sedo.com and bit him 60 $ to buy it back, and in a
comment explained to him what the name stood for, and that wsfii.org was
used for a homepage of an international non-commercial loose network of
volunteers who wants to promote cheap community wireless networks in
underserved areas of the world. The bits last for a week, so next week I
gave a bit of 65 $. He turned down the bit and asked for 1900 $.
Next week I bit 75 $ asking him to sell it back without profit to our
non-profit initiative. At the same time I bought wsfii.net and
wsfii.info, and let him know I got each of them for about 17 $, and that
we would use them instead if necessary, as we didn't have the kind of
money he asked for.
He then asked for 1800 $ while I every week have renewed my bit of 75 $
until now. This week he has returned my bit asking for 1795 $. - So as
he seems to think we can meet halfway - and I cannot find about 900 $ at
the moment -, I found it appropriate to realize the idea to make the
wsfii-content accessible again at the two new domains wsfii.net and
wsfii.info, for the time being. So our server-group have now pointed the
two new domains to the homepage-content, and it seems to work.
If I get the opportunity to pay the new owner of wsfii.org - on the
level of 8 or 900 $ - I will do it, but for now I hope we can restore
the use of the wsfii-homepage based on the new top-domain-names, and I
hope those who cared for the content will come back and continue to do
so. Please write back if there seems to be any problems on the homepage.

With warm greeting to all from Bjarke Nielsen
Founder of the Djursland Computer-support-community,
of the wireless landscape-networks on Djursland and
of the Djursland International Institute of Rural Wireless Broadband
(diirwb.net).
(but now relatively retired and leaving leadership of organisations to
new leaders ;-))