[kforge-dev] planning game time!

John Bywater john.bywater at appropriatesoftwarefoundation.org
Mon Oct 30 10:50:38 UTC 2006

Good morning KForge!

Last week by telephone, Rufus and I agreed that today is the start of
the next development iteration (Trac milestone19):
http://project.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/milestone/milestone19
http://project.knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/milestone/milestone19
http://project.knowledgeforge.net/domainmodel/trac/milestone/milestone19

Both Rufus and I had tonsillitus last month, and I also caught a second
virus which made me feel quite bad, so very little was achieved during
iteration 18 (Trac milestone18):
http://project.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/milestone/milestone18
http://project.knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/milestone/milestone18
http://project.knowledgeforge.net/domainmodel/trac/milestone/milestone18

Therefore, we find ourselves in the familiar situation of being at the
start of an iteration, with a list of unimplemented user stories (active
trac tickets):
http://project.knowledgeforge.net/kforge/trac/report/1
http://project.knowledgeforge.net/ckan/trac/report/1
http://project.knowledgeforge.net/domainmodel/trac/report/1

Now, in August we achieved a consensus regarding planning games:
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/kforge-dev/2006-August/000222.html

<quote>

(ii) at the start of each iteration, the customer chooses as many user
stories as completed on average during the last few iterations, marks
these within the issue tracker (e.g. against a Trac milestone), when
done the customer notifies the mailing list that this descision [sic] has been
made;

</quote>

Therefore, now is the time for the "Product Owner" (new XP name for
"Customer Role") i.e. for Rufus to move unresolved tickets out from the
milestones 17 and 18, and to assign about 4.5 weeks worth of user
stories to milestone 19.

As agreed, when done, the Product Owner notifies the mailing list of the
decision.

Then, members of this list can self-assign milestone tickets, implement
test-driven code, and report their progress until the iteration ends (in
4 weeks).

Regards,

John.

PS I didn't write any Python to churn out dates into the future, but I
did think of a name for it: the Perpetual Software Machine.