[kforge-dev] Converting to mercurial

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Sep 11 18:53:15 UTC 2009

2009/9/9 John Bywater <john.bywater at appropriatesoftware.net>:
> I'm sure we can discuss it further, but it appears to me that none of
> needing to work online, branching trouble, or processing patches appear to
> be limiting factors of KForge/DomainModel development. ?

Sure, though I find it quite a bit more convenient to use than svn
(you should try it on a personal project to see what i mean).

> At the same time, from my point of view, there are a number of other
> DomainModel applications, all of which at the moment use Subversion. I've
> written some code to direct the development/release cycle, with svn commands
> in various places. So it would be a minor PITA to code in exceptions for two
> projects. However that in itself isn't an argument for avoiding change.

Point taken. It is costly to change and benefits don't seem
overwhelming so let's leave as is (if necessary i can investigate the
current state of the svn-mercurial bridge that is out there).

> Another consideration is your "eat your own dog food" thing. :-) If we don't
> use KForge's Subversion plugin, how will we know when it's broken?

Sure, though that is true of our mercurial plugin too (but i'm using
that on other projects so ...).

Anyway: let's agree to keep things as they are for the present.

Rufus