[MyData & Open Data] Open Data Research Network meeting on Privacy - write up

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 08:30:19 UTC 2013

Hey Laura,

Thanks for spotting this and sharing with the list.

We didn't conclude on any specific next steps from the web meeting last
week other than to write up some notes from it - but hopefully the
different research projects who took part will each be looking at privacy
in their own work.

However, if you've any ideas for further follow up we could do that would
be great. One possibility could be to get some of those who were involved
to collaborative on a short primer for policy makers about the issues... as
I was looking for something like this ahead of the meeting and couldn't
find anything terribly clear.

I wonder if that's something this list might be interested in joining in
work on too?

All the best

Tim

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM, Laura James <laura.james at okfn.org> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> There's a write up of a recent IDRC trans-network meeting about open data
> and privacy:
>

> http://www.opendataresearch.org/content/2013/501/open-data-privacy-discussion-notes
>
> *The Privacy in the Developing World network<https://www.privacyinternational.org/projects/privacy-in-the-developing-world>,
> and the Open Data in Developing Countries<http://www.opendataresearch.org/emergingimpacts/>network set out to explore whether open data and protecting privacy are
> inherently in tension, or whether the two can be complementary, and to
> identify particular issues that might come up around privacy and open data
> in the developing world. This post shares and develops some of the themes
> discussed in the meeting.*
>
> It's a good introduction to some of the issues and concerns on both sides.
>
> Were there any next steps from the web meeting?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Laura
>

> --
> *