[MyData & Open Data] Open Data Research Network meeting on Privacy - write up

Song, Stephen stephen.song at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:33:24 UTC 2013

Hi Tim,

Thanks for including me in that discussion.  It was great to hear the
diversity of perspectives.  So far in the privacy and open data dialogue, I
have found that the discussions get this far i.e. acknowledging the
potentially competing priorities but without going much further.  In the
interest of spurring further debate, I would like to suggest some next
steps.  These ideas are embryonic.  I will be in no way offended if someone
suggests a better approach.

1/  I think the Open Data principles need to explicitly acknowledge privacy
as a key issue.  The Open Economic Principles (
http://openeconomics.net/principles/) are a great step in this direction
but I see no reason why Economics should be unique in this regard.

2/  "Open by default" is an essential principle of Open Data.  Steps need
to be taken to reconcile 'open by default' with protection of privacy.

3/  I think any dataset needs a privacy statement, even if it is as simple
as something that states "There are no known privacy issues related to this
dataset".   Any dataset without a privacy statement shouldn't be published.
 Existence of a privacy statement reveals that someone has at least thought
about privacy related to the dataset, however briefly.

4/  Privacy statements should be attributed in order to facilitate an
ongoing dialogue.

5/  We need to develop methodologies and processes for having a structured
conversation about privacy related to any particular dataset.  Perhaps a
list of basic questions to start with.

6/  We need to acknowledge that there may be degrees of openness / privacy
which provide limited access in some cases.  The binary notion of open or
closed isn't going to get us far enough.

7/  The existence of datasets should be mandated to be open under any
circumstances, and openly accessible subject to the publication of a
privacy statement.

Cheers... Steve

Steve Song
+1 902 529 0046