[MyData & Open Data] This man thinks big data and privacy can co-exist, and here’s his plan

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Thu Aug 29 08:42:42 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 05:03:11AM +0000, Mark Elliot wrote:
> Not only is he on to something it's just about the only tenable position given the current data view/DP rules.

what exactly is he onto? after reading such paragraphs:
> You then code these data, give each dataset a number, and maybe have a
> reference list where the code and the name are linked, and give this
> reference list to a trustee.

i'm not convinced. this is basically the state-of-the-art of the pre-internet
age. i do not see any of his claims can be backed up with solid mathematics,
and without math proofs, i don't see much substance or innovation here.

this is a bit more interesting:

> Secondly — and this applies to private data controllers as well — is data
> minimization. The collection of data needs to be restricted.

however also illusion of the rule of law and the selective enforcement of law
do not make this promise very convincing either.

all in all i think the article is a campaign article for the eudatap
regulation this fall, the guy has no plan. if you are interested in the depths
and details of the europen civil society proposals, check out European Digital
Rights proposals: http://policingprivacy.eu/

and you might also be interested, in how foreign industry is corrupting the
process (amazon, digital europe, amcham, etc) http://lobbyplag.eu/influence

but regulation is nothing if not enforced, and reasonable doubts about
the trustworthiness of our regimes has been proven multiple times. so please
excuse me if i demand mathematical proof for any claims promising more
protection against surveillance.

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF