[MyData & Open Data] This man thinks big data and privacy can co-exist, and here’s his plan

Mark Lizar mark.lizar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 18:04:38 UTC 2013

Great Thread,

First of all, privacy needs to better articulated and un-packed in conversation post PRISM, The word is grossly miss used in the UK.   Modern privacy (IMHO) is about information control and much less about Data Protection of the past.  I know that many in the privacy industry would disagree.  But, this is a privacy industry based on Data Protection where companies and government lock down identity and personal data  due to outdated laws, they need to be called out and seperated from information control.  The fact is that data protection is not effective, the term data subject is out dated and no longer relevant, its expensive, it doesn't really work, people can't trust it and for the individual there is a lack of control and context, which in my opinion is the definition of privacy itself.

The alternative, and a big point for Open Data is how easy privacy is if people control their own personal data and how it mixes with Open Data.

"We must not forget that consumers have a sustainable competitive advantage over the Big Data players; not only can individuals always produce an accurate profile of themselves, but they can also look to their future.”  This change in data control is a harbinger of emerging markets in self-advertising, personalisation and using open data. Information control promises huge economic performance benefits in administration. But, as always it is unecessary middle-men that will fight to hold their positions and in this case benefit from the control of your personal data.

The emerging personal data ecosystem and initiatives like the Consent Tag Specification being developed at the Kantara Initiative will enable Data Subjects to tag consent and use third party services to manage and aggregate policies and information controls independently from vendors and government.  Such efforts provide a framework for people to take direct control of information through consent management (notice and choice), as an alternative to the self-regulation that industry is lobbying for. Ultimately, putting people in control of their own information would save billions in administrative compliance costs in the EU (a goal at the core of the EU Data Protection revision)  and make Billions as people personalise their own experiences and self-advertise (as oppose to being tracked).   People should be Master Controllers of their own data and the data linked.  We need public not private infrastructure for information control, and this is where Open Data changes everything.  We need to open privacy and terms of use policies so they are standard.

I hope this topic comes up in Geneva

Best Regards,

Mark