[MyData & Open Data] This man thinks big data and privacy can co-exist, and here’s his plan

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Thu Aug 29 15:09:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Aug 29, 2013 at 07:52:13AM -0700, Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:
> So, the question is -- what do we do?

excellent question, here's a few ideas.

i have earlier linked to policingprivacy.eu. make that happen.

> Lists like these are great as we can collectively come up with all manner of problems. I hope we can articulate a few suggestions, and then bring the different parties together to have a conversation, convey to them the limits of both technology and policy, and emphasize that in the end known-and-proactive-expectation-adjusment may be the best way forward.

hold our regime responsible for violating human rights on a global scale like
this.

use free software, and learn how it works, only conscious users can protect
themselves in the absence of cheap virtual bodyguards.

trust in 3rd parties must be cryptographic, everything else is fairy tales.

understand, that the public data that is unimportant today, can be used
against you tomorrow. robbing you of your possibility to express freely
yourself when your thresholds are exhausted.

i think the opendata community is very much responsible also for making sure
they do not become a liability. yet i still hear about anonymization, when the
threat model clearly includes adversaries, that easily can get access to the
unanonimized data.

my 2 cents. ;)

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF