[MyData & Open Data] This man thinks big data and privacy can co-exist, and here’s his plan

Mr. Puneet Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 14:52:13 UTC 2013

On Aug 29, 2013, at 7:36 AM, Javier Ruiz <javier at openrightsgroup.org> wrote:

>> social and cultural expectation adjustment."
>
> I think the problem with this is that it tends to work only one way, where the West Coast companies and technology pundits expect the rest of the world to change their standards, but will not adapt theirs to the places where they sell their services. Hence German data protection authorities are the stuff of nightmares, as they say in the article.

Absolutely. There is a near complete disconnect between the techies and the policy makers as the actual users, the general public, are blithely going about being the first adopters. People will pay attention when shit hits the fan.

So, the question is -- what do we do?

Lists like these are great as we can collectively come up with all manner of problems. I hope we can articulate a few suggestions, and then bring the different parties together to have a conversation, convey to them the limits of both technology and policy, and emphasize that in the end known-and-proactive-expectation-adjusment may be the best way forward.

--
Puneet Kishor