[MyData & Open Data] this group's thoughts on definitions

'stef' s at ctrlc.hu
Tue Dec 24 13:47:58 UTC 2013

On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 12:00:27PM +0100, Christopher Wilson wrote:
> functional. Suggestions to define "my data" on the basis of individuals'
> rights or agency will be strategically limiting.

that is exactly the point, to strategically limit the collection and use of such data.

> If prescriptive, we're left arguing tautologically (ppl should be able
> to agency over their data! what's their data? data they should able to
> exercise agency over!).

it's data that can be used combined with other data to identify and profile
them, and later to blackmail them into subservience.

--
pgp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/stef.gpg
pgp fp: FD52 DABD 5224 7F9C 63C6  3C12 FC97 D29F CA05 57EF