[MyData & Open Data] The value of data

Lancelot PECQUET (Will Strategy) lpecquet at willstrategy.com
Tue Dec 24 16:34:34 UTC 2013

Dear all,

Just to let you know, I am managing a new research project on the "value
of data"
(with a very broad definition of "value") at the Mines-Telecom Institute
<http://www.mines-telecom.fr/en_accueil.html>.

This project gathers researchers from various disciplines, as well as
representatives from
companies such as Alcatel Lucent, BNP Paribas, Google, Orange, SFR and
others, and
from the (French so far) public sector.

A "White book on the value of data" will be published during the year 2014
(and hopefully available under a free Creative Commons License).

As you all know, corporations and countries are interested in this "new
oil" (whatever that means)
and are thinking about ways to leverage it, while some consultancies
emphasize that
"Organizations That Excel at Creating Trust Can Increase the Amount of
Consumer Information
They Can Access for Big-Data Uses by at Least Five to Ten Times, [...],
Conferring a Bottom-Line
"Trust Advantage" "
<http://www.bcg.com/media/PressReleaseDetails.aspx?id=tcm:12-148556>
(which has been outrageously related by some revolutionary to this famous
quote from Marx (Groucho): "The Main Thing Is Honesty. If You Can Fake
That, You've Got It Made
<http://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/12/05/fake-honesty/>").

The project will discuss the relevant usage of (open, big, personal,
etc.) data in the private and
public sectors and limits that should not be trespassed, in particular
for sound business / economical
reasons (NB : but we can handle freedom and ethics arguments too).

Please let me know if you have existing references on the subject or
want to participate in some way,

Thank you,

Lancelot

--