[MyData & Open Data] [euopendata] Examples of dates of birth being published as part of the public record?

Ivan Begtin ibegtin at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 07:57:15 UTC 2013

Hi Jonathan.

Sure, a lot of personal information being published regularly.

A few examples from Russian domestic open data disclosure.

*1. Disclsoure of assets by officials*
*
*
Russian federal law demands all government bodies to request information
about assets from employed officials and to publish it online. As I know
most OECD countries have similar requirements and data also published.
OECD did research about "private interest" disclosure a few years ago. You
may find it here -
http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/gov_glance-2011-en/13/08/index.html?contentType=/ns/StatisticalPublication,/ns/Chapter&itemId=/content/chapter/gov_glance-2011-72-en&containerItemId=/content/serial/22214399&accessItemIds=&mimeType=text/html

Here in Russia most government bodies publish this data using non-machine
readably formats like PDF and DOC files. Most open disclosure data using
Excel (XLS or XLSX) formats and worst cases include such formats like TIFF,
PDF and DOC with scanned images inside and even Flash presentations instead
of documents.

The data inside is highly personal. It includes:
- personal revenue during the year
- size of owned land or household and country of origin
- car type (actually any owned vehicle)

And it's infomation about official, his/her spouse and children.

A few Russian projects were initiated to process this data and to convert
it into the something usable for all good people.
So we did project called "Public Profit" (http://publicprofit.ru/) and
Transparency Int. Russia did "Declarator" (http://declarator.org/)

Some of Russian media also processed this data and used it for
infograthics, interactive projects and other data journalism activities.

*2. Registry of cadastral engineers*
*
*
Russian catastral and cartography agency (Rosreestr) owns registry of
cadastral engineers. This is open registry available at
https://portal.rosreestr.ru/wps/portal/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3hPd68AD293QwP3QB8DA09nl2DDAEdzA4MAI_1wkA48Kgwg8gY4gKOBvp9Hfm6qfkF2dpqjo6IiAGGp0WM!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfNEMwSUo5UzM0VjQ2QjBJMVJGNzgwMDIwVDM!/

It's available as searchable registry online and open data as CSV.
This registry includes:
- registry number
- full name of the person
- birthdata
- birthplace
- postal address
- phone number
- email

So it's highly personal data but it's being published as one of
anti-corruption and anti-fradulent measures.

And many other examples too.

Best Regards,
  Ivan Begtin

2013/9/2 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>

> I was wondering whether anyone might know of any examples of where
> personal information about living persons - such as dates of birth - have
> been published as part of the public record by public sector bodies?
>
> For example in relation to interest, lobby or political registries?
>
> While generally personal information needs to be carefully protected, we'd
> be interested to hear of examples of where there might be broader public
> interest arguments or exceptions for publishing this kind of data.
>
> All the best,
>
> Jonathan
>
> --
>
> Jonathan Gray
>
> Director of Policy and Ideas  | *@jwyg <https://twitter.com/jwyg>*
>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>
> *
>
> Empowering through Open Knowledge
>
> okfn.org  |  @okfn <http://twitter.com/OKFN>  |  OKF on Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/OKFNetwork> |
> Blog <http://blog.okfn.org/>  |  Newsletter<http://okfn.org/about/newsletter>
> *

С уважением,
  Иван Бегтин

Директор НП "Информационная культура"
email: ibegtin at infoculture.ru
phone: +7 499 500 96 58, +7 910 426 68 83
website: http://infoculture.ru