[MyData & Open Data] Call for papers: Ethical and Social Challenges Accompanying Digital and Social Media

Robert Mason rmmason at uw.edu
Mon Apr 21 14:46:55 UTC 2014

Subscribers to this list are encouraged to consider submitting research papers to and/or serving as reviewers for this mini-track at HICSS 48 (January 2015, in Kauai).  Papers are due June 15, 2014.

We're seeking both conceptual and empirical (including case study) submissions.

Conceptual papers would address foundational concepts of ethical conduct and social changes in periods of rapid change.  For example, we would welcome papers that explore new metaphors for thinking about information exchange in communities and societies.  Empirical papers would draw on studies of digital and social media data or present case studies that illustrate the social and ethical dimensions of the use or dissemination of such data, including "big social data."

See full call for papers here:  http://bit.ly/1my805g

Co-chairs (contact for feedback on abstracts/proposed papers):  Bob Mason (rmmason at uw.edu<mailto:rmmason at uw.edu>) or Dianne Ford (dpford at mun.ca<mailto:dpford at mun.ca>).  We're also interested in hearing from you if you would like to serve as a reviewer.
For those unfamiliar with HICSS, it's a highly regarded and interdisciplinary conference held each January.  From the HICSS website<http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/>:

Recent research that shows HICSS ranked second in citation ranking among 18 Information Systems (IS) conferences [1], ranked third in value to the MIS field among 13 Management Information Systems (MIS) conferences [2], and ranked second in conference rating among 11 IS conferences [3]. See References<http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu/references.htm>.  The Australian Government's Excellence in Research project (ERA) has given HICSS an "A" rating, one of 32 Information Systems conferences so honored out of 241 (46-B and 146-C ratings). Data supplied by the Australian Research Council, December 2009 can be viewed at http://lamp.infosys.deakin.edu.au/era/?page=cfordet&selfor=0806