[MyData & Open Data] existing legal frameworks of biometrics

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Fri Apr 4 16:15:15 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 05:12:15PM +0200, Antti Jogi Poikola wrote:
> Suggestion: My data is a subset of personal data - the term My Data
> underlines ownership or at least access to my personal data.
>
> In all cases of personal data this ownership question is not clear (i.e.
> the photo example), but in many cases data subjects should have access /
> ownership to their personal data in machine readable form and My Data term
> underlines that cause.

agreeing with walter in the other response, that ownership, copyright are only
making matters worse. also note, for example that in hungary since mid march
you are compelled by law to get the consent of all people in a picture before
taking it. the joy of many fragmented legal systems.

however i see in this interpretation something that could be matching one of
my earlier suggestions: the datenbrief. where "data subjects" are regularly
notified about all the data that is being processed, stored, etc about them in
a machine readable form. so in fact this could be an addition to the 7 data
protection principles laid down in the frameworks i referenced.

the well defined concept of personal data thus should be extended with an 8th
principle, the principle that the personal data must be made available in a
machine processable form. (an excellent example is the data gotten from
facebook via the http://europe-v-facebook.org/ campaign, which was insulting
the data subjects with pdf dumps of their data.

but this concept needs a better name than mydata.

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt