[MyData & Open Data] existing legal frameworks of biometrics

Antti Jogi Poikola antti.poikola at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 11:53:56 UTC 2014

Thanks a lot for the great discussion!

I have re-shaped my earlier suggestion. Now I agree completely that
ownership regarding Personal Data is complicated and perhaps should be
explicitly excluded from the definition of MyData. Access, Control and
possibility to get the data (data giveback) are way more useful and
actionable terms.

I still believe that there is place for the term MyData and that it is a
subset of the larger sphere of Personal Data ie. all My Data is also
Personal Data, but not all Personal Data is MyData.

On 4 April 2014 18:12, Antti Jogi Poikola <antti.poikola at gmail.com> wrote:

> (OLD) Suggestion: MyData is a subset of Personal Data - the term MyData
> underlines ownership or at least access to my Personal Data.

New suggestion: MyData is a subset of Personal Data - Personal Data means
any information relating to a person ('data subject') and it often exists
without the data subject's knowledge, access or control of the data. The
term MyData underlines the data subject's control of personal data and the
legal rights and technical possibilities to re-use the data freely.

--

What exactly means to "have control of personal data" needs to be further
discussed.

The TACT -model is good starting point for differentiating the levels of
rights and possibilities of the data subject

T - Transparency

Providers are open and transparent about what personal data they hold

A - Access
Providers enable data subjects to have secure, personal access to data held
about them.

C - Control
Providers give data subjects the ability to correct, update, change
settings, preferences, permissions etc.

T - Transfer
Data is released back to the individual for re-use. Data can be analysed
and data subjects can take action.

See (serach for TACT):
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/32687/12-943-midata-2012-review-and-consultation.pdf

--