[MyData & Open Data] existing legal frameworks of biometrics

Phil Booth phil at einsteinsattic.com
Fri Apr 4 16:17:25 UTC 2014

I completely agree with Stef, and others, on this point.

"Open Data" is itself a new definition, still immature and clearly
vulnerable to abuse/misuse and misunderstanding. Why therefore try to inject
not one but two further terms ("My Data" and "Transformed Data") into a
debate that is hugely complex already? You will waste time and energy trying
to arrive at a commonly-understood - let alone shared - definition that
could more profitably be spent on the substantive issues.

Though by no means perfect, the EU DPD definition of 'personal data' has the
merits of being broadly understood and being backed by legislation and case
law / court rulings. (The 'technical' part of 'personal data' is as much,
probably more, the 'data' bit as the 'personal' bit in any case.) And, as
both Stephen and Walter say, you really don't want to plunge yourself into
ownership issues which can range from the 'owner' being unclear to more
controversial arguments over property vs human rights, etc.

Phil