[MyData & Open Data] existing legal frameworks of biometrics

Song, Stephen stephen.song at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 19:29:03 UTC 2014

On 5 April 2014 16:18, Walter van Holst <walter.van.holst at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On 05/04/2014 21:02, Sally Deffor wrote:
> > Hi Walter,
> >>I'm still a bit at a loss how open data can touch personal data. As soon
> > as it is personal data it cannot, by definition be, open data in my
> > opinion. The rights of correction and deletion, the principle of
> > proportionality and of purpose-boundness are fundamentally incompatible
> > with notions of open data.
> >
> > Well, quite a few examples of open data are simply aggregated  personal
> > data (for example census figures), and this where they do intersect,
> > even if in principle it can no longer be defined as such.
>
> If it is aggregated data, as in properly aggregated data, then it no
> longer is personal data. Aggregation almost by definition means covering
> multiple persons.

Is it not possible for aggregated data to have personal implications?  What
if, for example, your aggregated data contains geo-location data about
marginalised ethnic groups, age groups, etc?  Not only is it arguable that
these groups deserve a voice in how public this data is made but it is also
the kind of information that data-brokers can use to refine their existing
datasets.

Regards... Steve

> > There is a proposed session at OKFestival, proposed by Javier that hope
> > to engage further on the discussion around the standards that should
> > govern this 'data transformation' process. You might want to contribute
> > to that.
>
> I'd be delighted to, provided that Javier doesn't mind, how soon will we
> know that it is on the schedule?
>
> Regards,
>
>  Walter

Steve Song