[MyData & Open Data] Economic signalling, open data, my data, and privacy unraveling

Sally Deffor sally.deffor at okfn.org
Thu Apr 17 12:24:40 UTC 2014

I struggle too, however I think that is simply a function of where we are
at the moment.  We've only mapped the tip of the data/privacy iceberg.
 Here's another example [1] (courtesy of Bruce Schneier) that points out
that opting out of geo-location on Twitter doesn't mean that your tweets
can't be used to geo-locate you.  Apparently the similarity of your tweets
to those who do choose to geo-locate their tweets is enough to identify a
user's city for 58% of users.  Not exactly earth shattering statistics but
one could imagine how this might be combined with other public data to
become much more granular.

Goes back to points made earlier about the London cycling data, being used
with other geo-datasets posing significant risks to re-identification . As
rightly suspected, using customer IDs was a 'mistake' which has since been
rectified by TFL (see
here<http://skift.com/2014/04/16/london-transports-bike-share-privacy-slip-raises-concerns/>
).

Re. the point about Other people's privacy choices affect ours.

I wonder though if there is opportunity to debate further how how
individuals choosing to open 'mydata', could affect the privacy of other
person's who's identity is linked somehow  to this individual, and if there
are any safeguards against this?

 Perhaps the answer lies in the mathematics of differential privacy[2][3]
where noise is added to each data query in order to protect privacy.  I
confess I don't fully understand differential privacy yet but it does seem
like we need some more powerful combination of regulation and tools like
differential privacy in order to protect our right to privacy.  This may
offer some hope for the intersection of personal data and open data.

Perhaps it is. Differential privacy was also well discussed in this
recent document
<http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/article-29/documentation/opinion-recommendation/files/2014/wp216_en.pdf>on
the Opinions on Anonymisation Techniques. Worth a good read.

Sally