[MyData & Open Data] Another public data uproar in the UK

Mark L mark.lizar at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 18:15:56 UTC 2014

HI Stef,

Thanks for your question.

The consent receipt is at its core a compliance tool and solution, the effort we are working on is to map the notice requirements for consent by jurisdiction and industry, and to meet the legally required notice requirements  by provisioning a consent receipt.  In the process making open the controls of personal data control.

Past research indicates that most companies policies (notices) are below compliant with privacy law and principle. In fact they are mainly used to indemnify rather than provide policy.   So we are working on an above legally compliant consent receipt architecture that can be compliant across many jurisdictions.  This way, companies that provide consent notice receipts that provide people with data control will be much more transparent and legally compliant.

Of course this is a big ambition and long process to develop.  Especially since we are advocating a co-regulator regime,  much like a commercial transaction receipt.  In that people, orgs, and regulators all benefit from transparency/accountability in personal data control.

- Mark