[MyData & Open Data] Another public data uproar in the UK

Mark L mark.lizar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 12:35:15 UTC 2014

HI Stef,

Yes, I can explain the power and ideology of Open Notice in a better way.

We are working on infrastructure of creating Open Notices, more than creating the powerful applications that can balance power with personal information control. (other projects are working on this)

But, I can give you my version.  Imagine your Mom being able to see on aggregate all of her consents, and able to see how legally compliant they are, post, during and pre the consent transaction.  Imagine a pie chart will all of your consents viewable at once, where people don’t have to read each policies to use them, don’t have to log into each service provider to exercise access and control rights.   Imagine a button, your Mom can press, to “withdraw consent” from Google (or even a 100 companies at once) withdrawing consent for Orgs to use her information and even have an option to deliver a subject access request at the same time.

At the moment policies are not usable by your Mom, they are a tremendous burden, and arguably un fair and un reasonable.  (AKA not legitimate)

I think Google is a poignant example because they have made material changes to their privacy and terms of use policies without explicit consent, which is in contravention of the many privacy laws in various jurisdictions.  Especially the EU.  In this regard, if your Mom withdrew her consent and Google refused I believe Google would be more vulnerable to regulatory action.

Our aim is to make receipts usable to withdraw consent and escalate issues for enforcement actions to regulators.  So, beyond the open social reputation that this will generate, easy complaint escalation and more accessible use of data privacy law, Open Notices are intended to iteratively make policy simple and much more easy to use for your Mom.

The other half of this is making self asserted personal policies and preferences a part of the consent trisection.  I think Dazza, Me Dex, and many others are  working on this.  Asserting my consent preferences and self advertising  is an exciting  market avenue for personalisation that marketers can’t access as consent and trust is missing at the moment in advertising.

Hope this makes the potential benefits more (not less) clear

Mark