[MyData & Open Data] UK Data sharing_ONS strand

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Thu Apr 24 17:10:24 UTC 2014

Hi

I attended the workshop on sharing data for pubic interest research. Here is the background to all the working groups.

http://datasharing.org.uk/current-proposals/

This work stream seems a bit more thought out in terms of privacy risks. The idea is to link pseudonymous data in a secure environment for the exclusive access of researchers. There are lots of questions on the detail of how data will be processed in those supposedly secure spaces and how to avoid any legislation having unintended consequences or mission creep.

There will be a lot of concern about any use of public data for commercial research. We asked - and it is happening -  that research using public data was released under open access regime, but the definition of public interest is going to be an issue.

We made clear that pseudonymous data is still covered by Data Protection and this could not be a free for all.

I think the programmes on tailored public services and fraud/debt are where I would see the biggest concerns, as those will involve fully personal data aiming to have impacts on individuals.

--
Javier Ruiz
javier at openrightsgroup.org (mailto:javier at openrightsgroup.org)