[MyData & Open Data] Personal data & privacy logo

stef s at ctrlc.hu
Fri Oct 24 11:13:14 UTC 2014

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 02:07:12PM +0100, Sally Deffor wrote:
> To clarify, the group has always been known as 'personal data & privacy',

i'm here since the beginning i believe, but this is new to me.

> hence all our communication platforms including the Twitter account and
> web/wiki pages were known as such. However, for some reason the mailing was
> designated as 'mydata and open data' making it confusing even for us within
> Open Knowledge.

i also remember there was an initial blogpost that was so wrong i joined this
mailing list immediately (i usually do not subscribe to any mailinglist)

> As Antti explained, mydata is considered a subset of personal data and some

it is not a subset, it is also personal data.

> people within the group are rightly interested in exploring the
> possibilities of how individuals can manage their own data. As such we
> would need to find a way to have that aspect also represented in how we
> communicate about what the group is about.

> I don't have an easy answer to how to resolve that confusion around the
> names and how to harmonize them into one, but as there seems to be no
> strong objections to either,

either what? i tried to represent a very strong opposition to the mydata
subversion.

> I will leave it as it is for now. I have been
> informed off-channel that in the near future, some members of the group are
> interested in revisiting the constitution of the group (it's name, brand,
> objectives vis a vis the role of Open Knowledge etc.).

that sounds like propaganda stuff, how about either 1/ building up
competences in this regard or 2/ accept the fact that this is outside OKF
available capacities.

--
otr fp: https://www.ctrlc.hu/~stef/otr.txt