[MyData & Open Data] Mailing list - next direction?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Jun 2 11:57:07 UTC 2015

Thanks for starting this thread Sam! :-)

There were lots of talks and discussions about open data and privacy at
this conference at UC Berkeley in April:

https://www.law.berkeley.edu/centers/berkeley-center-for-law-technology/past-events/april-2015-the-19th-annual-bcltbtlj-symposium-open-data-addressing-privacy-security-and-civil-rights-challenges/

I'm contributing to a project on open data and privacy being led by the
Institute for Information Law (IVIR) at the University of Amsterdam. As
well as the full paper (which is still in progress, led by IVIR) I'm
planning to distill out a shorter briefing paper based on this work, which
I'd love to share and discuss here!

Javier: do you have any notes to share from the session at Ottawa?

All the best,

Jonathan

On 27 May 2015 at 14:16, Zara Rahman <zara.rahman at okfn.org> wrote:

>  Hi Sam,
>
> I'm not associated with them but the Stiftung Neue Verantwortung here in
> Berlin have just got a grant to work on "Open Data and Privacy". They're
> currently hiring for the position right now, as far as I know they've not
> worked on open data related things so much before.
>
> Job description here in German
> <http://www.stiftung-nv.de/news/projektleiterin-gesucht>  - I'm happy to
> connect people to those that I know there, if you want to know more!
>
> Best,
>
> Zara
>

> On 26/05/2015 19:11, Javier Ruiz wrote:
>
> Hi Sam,
>
> I'm in Ottawa doing a workshop on privacy at the Open Data Conference.
>
> If folk are around we'll meet on Friday after lunch.
>
> Best, Javier
>
> On 26 May 2015 18:26, Sam Smith wrote:
>

> Hey all,
>
> What's interesting that you're currently keeping an eye on?
>
> There are some other funded projects elsewhere looking at providing
> "privacy advice" to open data projects; although how those will play out is
> something we'll see over time. Hopefully some of them will come here for
> comments on their work (even if their worldview is “we were funded to do
> this thing, in this way”). The OKFN privacy project ended a while ago,
> hopefully they learnt something substantive.
>
> So, what's next here?
>
> There are various projects around which are doing interesting things,
> which this group may be interested in engaging with. What are your emerging
> interests? What are you interested in some discussion of, that isn't
> happening elsewhere? Is this still a useful group?
>
> Thoughts?
>

> regards,
> Sam
>
> --