[od-discuss] UK OGL Compliant?

Herb Lainchbury herb at dynamic-solutions.com
Wed Oct 19 16:54:13 UTC 2011

There is a very real chance that this license could proliferate through
Canada so I want to provide as much feedback as I can before that happens.
 The exemption clauses, for example the clause

   - third party rights the Information Provider is not authorised to
   license;

essentially says, "we're not sure if we are allowed to license this
information and if we mess up, you can't use it".
The problem is that this shifts "rights clearing" to the people who are
least able to do the clearing.  As a developer wanting to use some data, I
have no idea if the government has properly rights cleared the information
they are publishing under this license.  I am less likely to want to build
an app or a business using this information as it's risky.  Compare that to
the PDDL or the US public domain, where there is no such clause.  Those
licences are more attractive.

This alone may not be a strong enough objection to disqualify it from the
current compliance test, but I would like to see licenses that do not have
such clauses (the PDDL and CC for example) fare better somehow.  There are
several such clauses in the OGL and they could add more in the future, and
currently the opendefinition.org seems to be silent on these types of
clauses that shift risk from the publisher onto the consumer (and all of its
downstream consumers).  I wouldn't want to see these types of clauses
proliferate and my real preference would be for them to be removed entirely
because as Rufus correctly states, many of them are already covered by law.
 As consumers we have no way of mitigating the risk (through diligence for
example), and these clauses leave a lot of room for discretion.  Someone
opposing openness and wanting to inhibit what folks do with a license would
find these types of clauses convenient.

To be clear, I am not advocating that consumer should be able to do whatever
they want with the data, just that where there is risk of publishing
something incorrectly, that risk stays with the publisher, not the consumer.
 These clauses make us partners in that risk even though we have no way to
assure ourselves of the rights.

This issue should probably be a separate thread from the question of whether
or not these licenses meet the definition today.

Thank you,
Herb

Dynamic Solutions Inc.
www.dynamic-solutions.com